Milos is the island of the Cyclades with its wild beauty. The volcanic rocks and the white rocks that are intertwined with the green waters and the dreamy beaches compose a unique lunar landscape that you will never see before.
The only sure thing is that you will fall in love with her at first sight! Besides, it is not accidental that one of the most beautiful sculptures of the view of love, Aphrodite of Milos, was found on the island. Ideal destination for romantic holidays but also for anyone who wants to enjoy relaxing moments on one of the most beautiful islands in the world!
The main port of the island is Adamas with all-white houses and picturesque alleys that gather all the nightlife.
The capital of Milos is Plaka, built from the ancient stones of the castle of the island. Restaurants, cafes are filled every summer with people gathered in Plaka to face one of the most beautiful sunsets overlooking the bay of Adamas.
Milos has eight picturesque fishing villages with characteristic architecture. The colorful “wires”, the cave houses for the boats, with the bright colors on the doors and the small boats look like a painting under the light of the Cycladic sun. In Klima, Firopotamos and Mandrakia the small coves are as if they had come out of a postcard!
The magic of Milos, however, is hidden on its beaches! Most of them and the most popular are only accessible by boat and we suggest you visit them one by one. In Sarakiniko with its turquoise waters and all-white rocks you will think you are swimming in the moon.
The steep cliffs in Kleftiko and the underwater caves waiting to be explored will captivate you. One of the most beautiful beaches of the island is considered to be Tsigrado with its white sand and clear blue waters. The access includes a small adventure as to get down to the beach you pass through a rock with the help of a rope and a wooden ladder.
You will find colored beaches in Paleochori with the red rocks, the Sulfur Mines with the white-yellow sand and the wonderful landscape and in Provatas with the golden-red sand. In Firiplaka, one of the organized beaches of the island with the white sand and the blue waters, get ready to enjoy the peace and relaxation you are looking for. Finally, if you like adrenaline go down to the steep Papafranga where the sea pierces through the rocks and creates a small oasis for swimming!
- One of the main activities in Milos is to take it by boat. Discover beautiful beaches, sea caves and the impressive Glaronissia with the vertical stone bars protruding through the sea. If you want to get to know the island even better then get ready for diving in one of the most mysterious and wild seabeds of the Aegean!
- In Milos you will find infrastructure for water sports. With the help of the wind you can go windsurfing and cai board over the Aegean but also enjoy the calm waters and the beautiful landscape with kanoe-kayak.
One thing is for sure in Milos the beaches due to their incomparable beauty and their rare natural beauties are considered attractions for travelers. The same happens with the colorful “wires” in the fishing villages of the island. The exploration of the island, however, does not stop there.
- Milos is inextricably linked to its mining history. In the east of the island in the bay of Paliorema with the yellow sulfur pebbles you will find the old sulfur mines of the island and the ruins of the factory facilities. The spectacle is amazing! Also, if you want to learn more about the mining history of the island, visit the Mining Museum in Adamas with its impressive exhibits.
- One of the most important attractions of the island is the Catacombs, near the village of Tripiti, with a total length of 185 meters. Due to their size they are considered one of the most remarkable in the world along with Rome and the Holy Land.
- At the Archaeological Museum of Milos, in Plaka, which is housed in a building of Ziller, you will find exhibits of incomparable beauty and high art as well as a copy of Aphrodite of Milos. The most important of them come from the ancient Fylakopi, a prehistoric settlement of special importance for the ancient history. Milos also has a Naval, Historical-Folklore and Ecclesiastical Museum with impressive collections!
- In Adamas in a cave you will find the Source of the Pit. The thermal bath that has been created from the volcanic soils and the warm waters of the island is considered to relieve myalgias and neuralgia!
The volcanic soil of the island has created the right conditions for the production of local products with a special taste!
In Milos you will find special cheeses such as manoura, chlora and skotyri but we suggest you to definitely try the Mileko cheese that has nothing to envy the Italian parmesan!
The gastronomy of the island, however, is based on another material, Belte or tomato sauce. “Malek belles” is included in almost all dishes of traditional cuisine. In the taverns of the island you will find delicious goat in the gasta, cod with spaghetti, french fries with tomato juice, delicious garlic cloves and snail yachni with onion. Everything is cooked with the accompaniment of belte!
Other dishes full of flavor are the local Flauns, pies with wild herbs, rice and raisins, Plakopites with the local dry cheese and Pitarakia with manoura. From seafood try sun-dried minks, savory fish and sea shells with lemon oil.
Finally, do not forget to sweetly close your meal with the famous watermelon pie and the traditional dessert of the island, the koufeto, made from sweet white pumpkin, honey and almonds!