The mythical Pelion is a magical palce. The peninsula of the prefecture of Magnesia that shares between the Aegean and the Pagasitic gulf has to offer travelers a beautiful experience of summer and winter holidays centered on the mountain of Centaurs! Traditional mountain villages with old mansions, historic churches, ski resorts, enchanting beaches, untamed nature and unforgettable flavors compose the unique scenery of Pelion. We are sure that this vacation will be unforgettable!
The most famous villages of the area are Portaria and Makrinitsa. Full of life, luxurious hostels, mansions, cobbled streets and stone fountains exude purity and peace.
In Tsagarada you will sunbathe under the huge plane tree of the square and you will enjoy your coffee or your tsipouro accompanied by fine delicacies. In Vizitsa, Milies and Pinakates, choose to stay in one of the renovated mansions of the village and who knows you may wake up in another era! While if you want to explore the unknown side of Pelion, choose the neighboring villages of Agios Lavrentios and Agios Georgios Nileias, which retain their authenticity and are a destination for “wanted” travelers.
Pelion is, perhaps, the best combination of mountain and sea that you can meet. On the one hand the lush forest of Pelion full of tall beeches, plane trees, oaks and on the other the deep blue waters of the Aegean at their best. Going down the slopes of Pelion you will see the plane trees to meet small and large beaches of incomparable beauty. The enchanting Milopotamos where the rocks form an arch, Agioi Saranda with its golden sand and the impressive “Kalogeros”, the rock that emerges from the sea, Fakistra with the turquoise waters below Tsagarada and Plaka with the exotic some of them. If you go to Pelion do not miss to pass by the picturesque port of Damouchari with the beautiful cove and you can start listening to the sounds of “Dancing Queen” from somewhere, as the popular scene of the movie “Mamma Mia” was shot in this wonderful setting .
And because Pelion is characterized by contrasts, in the winter months you can find there a Ski Center overlooking the Aegean!
- The most popular activity in Pelion is the route with Moutzouris, the steamy train that traveled the distance Volos-Milies for about 70 years. The route is wonderful and you can get a taste of the enchanting nature of Pelion!
- In “Agriolefkes” at an altitude of 1500 m. You will find the Ski Center of Pelion to enjoy the winter sports you love overlooking the sea!
- If you are a nature lover then Pelion is the ideal destination for you. Explore landscapes of incomparable beauty, waterfalls, springs, bridges and forests by hiking, horseback riding or mountain biking. While on your summer vacation, discover the bottom of the Aegean by diving in the beautiful beaches of Pelion.
photo: Theo Athanasiadis / Views Of Greece
- In Zagora I visited the School of Rigas which was founded in 1777 and was attended by Rigas Velestinlis-Feraios and other important personalities of spirit and letters.
- In Makrinitsa is the Church of Agios Ioannis of 1806 with paintings by Theophilos and the Holy Church of Panagia with rich stone carvings. Also, in the area you can admire stone-built geysers, mills and mansions of the 18th and 19th century. The Museum of Folk Art and History of Pelion also operates in the Topali mansion.
- In Milies it is worth visiting the historic church of the Greatest Brigadiers with the characteristic acoustics due to the clay pots that have been placed on the roof. You also cross the De Chirico metal bridge.
- In Portaria you will find important mansions of traditional Pelion architecture, such as the Athanasakeio Kindergarten and the Zoulia Mansion which also houses a Museum of Folk Art. An interesting museum in the area is the Kombologi Museum with its huge collection of rosaries. Near Portaria is the Mana Spring with its waterfalls and lush vegetation where you can enjoy hours of relaxation in nature.
Pelion cuisine is full of aromas and rich flavors that will be unforgettable!
We suggest you try spentzofai, a recipe with sausages and peppers, rooster wine with noodles, zucchini tops, ie stuffed zucchini flowers, pork with quinces and wild mushrooms. Accompany your meal with wine or tsipouro and close your meal with delicious pastries.